Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Training & Random Ramblings

So much has happened since my last post. I have been through 3 days of training, and I start my tier 4 training on Thursday. I have tomorrow (Wednesday) and Friday off! Whoo hoo time to play in the parks!

Tier 1 training started on Sunday from 10am-6:30pm and it consisted mostly of just getting acclimated to my location and the store I will be working in. I got fitted for my costume and got to bring 5 home with me. Yayyy.... They are SO cute (sarcasm). After that my trainer, Brittany, and I headed to do a little bit of online training and then went straight to World Traveler afterwards. I got to interact with the guests so that was awesome. I gave little princesses and princes stickers and greeted guests with Mickey outside. Working in merchandise also requires cast members to pin trade. I have never been a pin trader, but after doing it for 3 days, it is so much fun! Kids love it and its exciting to watch their faces light up when they see a pin on my lanyard that they love or is a part of their collection. I also got a tour of our stockroom, breakroom, and all of my backstage area.


Day 2 of training took me back to Disney University to attend my Merchantainment class. Merchantaining is a "Disney term" that means what you think it does. Merchandise + Entertainment. Disney believes that even the shops should be entertaining. It could be anything from walking around with a goofy hat on and interacting with guests, to grabbing Mickey hands and waving to guests. It can literally be anything. This class was also to teach us about working the registers. This was a more difficult learning experience, but it was fun.

Tier 3 training was today from 8am-4:30pm. I met up with Brittany again and we went straight into World Traveler and started practicing the registers. Disney has a certain way of counting back change, and that was the biggest adjustment for me. I learned A LOT today. It was the most hands-on training I have done yet, and I feel like that is the best way for me to ultimately learn. I was on registers for about 4 hours today, and it was a lot of fun! I got to interact with guests from all over the world. I love asking where they are from! I will share a sweet story from today:
So I am working the register and a teeny tiny older oriental lady comes to my register with 4 postcards and a picture frame. I tell her the total and she hands me a stack of one dollar bills and lays all of her change on the counter. She gestures that she does not know how to count American currency and asks if I can help her out. So here I am flailing myself all over the counter to help this precious lady. She thanks me and did not speak a lick of English the whole time she was there. I am so thankful to work in a place where I get to experience different cultures and nationalities. It is truly like traveling the World every single day.

I also got to casually eat lunch with Princess Aurora today and that was pretty cool... she didn't feel like wearing her dress to lunch, but her hair and make-up were done, of course!  (If you catch my drift....) ;)

Since I am training, I get to wear a flag on my nametag that says "Earning My Ears." It is really helpful when I am learning so that guests know I am not perfect and do make mistakes. Today, this man came up to the counter and wanted to purchase two drinks. I rang him up and before he left he said, "Good luck earning your ears! You're doing a great job." It totally made my day and made me realize that I really shouldn't worry because there are people out there that are so understanding and encouraging. 

My trainer, Brittany, is the nicest person ever. She is so understanding and patient while I am learning all of these new things. She is so funny, too! I am going to miss her tremendously, as I am gaining a new trainer on Thursday. It is so easy to meet people here... everyone is willing to help you in any way and the work environment is like nothing I have ever experienced. I don't even feel like I am working... it's so much fun to go into work everyday... I never know what I am going to experience next.


1 comment:

  1. My Cate started trading pins at Disneyland last weekend...and LOVES it! She will have to come trade with you in September!! So proud of you, Meri Scott!! Love from out here!

    ReplyDelete